Tuesday, February 28, 2012

For want of a horseshoe nail

Carved Teapot on Etsy
There's a poem, a 15thC proverb, I remember from my childhood, "For Want of a Nail"

For want of a nail, the shoe was lost;
For want of the shoe, the horse was lost;
For want of the horse, the rider was lost;
For want of the rider, the battle was lost;
For want of the battle, the kingdom was lost;
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

     It resonates with me often when problems crop up in my life because the origin is usually not some big catastrophe but, instead, the tiniest of inconsequential things that has snowballed. Even the solutions to my challenges involved a maze and scavenger hunt of steps to fix one tiny thing.
     My laptop is no more. It has become a desktop computer, forever connected to the wall. I don't fret about this because it's better than no computer at all. And the last time I had a crash on this machine, I finally invested in a back-up system. How I went decades without one is beyond me, sheer luck, I'm guessing, but it only takes one good scare and suddenly, I'm more efficient! The journey of laptop to desktop was fraught with horseshoe nail-like moments. I did a lot of sighing and spaced looks off into the horizon contemplating the absurdity of it all. My mother asked my the other day, "What's the point of all of this? We're like ants." Pretty much, Mom.
    Here is a picture of Maxx:
Maxx has arthritis.



No comments:

Post a Comment